Forty things you may, or may not, know about me –
1. I desperately wish that I had straight hair.
2. I love hammocks in the shade.
3. I have this thing where the bed has to be made in the morning before I go downstairs.
4. I believe there is no better food in the world than freshly made ice cream (it was a sad, sad day when I found out I could not eat dairy anymore).
5. I love getting my hands into dirt – no gloves, just bare hands sinking into earth.
6. Knitting is my meditation. It calms me and I can think the best when I'm knitting.
7. I can't stand grape flavoured anything. As I child I had to take a lot of antibiotics and they were always grape flavoured. This has ruined all things grape for me.
8. I love hanging laundry on the line. Of all my domestic tasks I think it's my favourite.
9. I wish I knew how to take better photographs.
10. I have absolutely no idea how to prune tomato plants. Suckers? What?
11. If I hear a baby crying at the grocery store I want to pick it up and cuddle it.
12. The older I get the more I'm drawn to liturgy.
13. I've always loved to cook.
14. I can read a book or watch a movie a million times over without being bored at all.
15. When I was pregnant with my first I ate a hamburger every single day for lunch.
16. If I go out to eat I like to sit facing the kitchen so I can watch them at work back there.
17. Cut flowers in the house make me smile.
18. I prefer a walk in the woods to a day at the beach.
19. I have a (possibly unhealthy) obsession with the smell of beeswax.
20. I love watching small critters. I could watch worms work all day. Or ants.
21. I loath shopping, most especially in a shopping mall.
22. Christmas is my favourite holiday.
23. I love snow, and lots of it.
24. One day I'd like to visit Nunavut and see the northern lights.
25. I still fantasize about owning a farm with sheep.
26. I'd love to learn how to ride a horse.
27. When I dream I still think we're living in our old house.
28. I think naps are amazing.
29. Gingerale is my favourite non-water drink.
30. I need quiet time every day or I feel like I'm going crazy.
31. Someday I'd like to learn how to weave, how to brew beer, and how to make baskets.
32. I have several essays written with the intent of submitting them for publication but am too chicken to actually do it.
33. I think all books and movies should have happy endings.
34. I love to garden but hate to weed.
35. I don't like the feeling of rings on my fingers so I rarely ever wear my wedding band.
36. I never thought I'd care about getting grey hair but now that I'm getting some it's freaking me out and I'll admit that I've plucked a few.
37. I feel strongly about the use of the oxford comma.
38. I prefer skirts to pants, and most definitely not shorts.
39. I've changed careers three times in my life – social worker, chef, mama.
40. I believe the mama gig has been the best so far.
(clearly my love of knits began at a young age...)