My first real honey harvest! So exciting!
I did use a bee escape board, put on the hive the afternoon before harvesting, and I found that it really helped. When I arrived at the hive the next day there were a ton of bees hanging out at the entrance (I'm glad I read that this is normal when a bee escape is on the hive or I would have worried about all those bees at the entrance!).
I took home twenty frames, but had no idea how much honey that would equal. I thought maybe a few jars? Enough for a taste? Ha! Little did I know.
(when I went back to the hive a few hours later the bees had almost completely evacuated the bee escape board – there were just a few still walking back into their home)
I saved some honey in the comb (because really, that's the yummiest way to eat it in my opinion).
The frames without wired foundation I crushed and strained and the frames with foundation I took to a very sweet elderly gentleman's house (he's been at this for twenty years!) who graciously and patiently showed me the ropes of extraction.
In the end I got twenty kilos of liquid honey (that's forty-four pounds for my American friends)! Fifteen jars of liquid honey and some cut comb too. Wow! Definitely more than I thought.
Thank you, sweet, sweet honeybees for your beautiful gift. I know you worked very hard for this. I promise to treasure it.